Announcements

Bylaws – Proposed Revisions – July 2018

Every couple of years, members of the MAPOR Executive Council look over the existing MAPOR bylaws to see if any changes are necessary.  In the latest council review, we determined that a number of small changes were necessary. These changes (and their justifications) are described below.

You can see the detailed proposed bylaws changes by clicking here (Note: the track changes in the document do not show up properly on mobile browsers). You can also post any general comments you have about the changes on this post. They will appear as soon as a member of the council has had a chance to moderate them.


Justification for proposed MAPOR bylaws changes:

  • 1) During the in-person Executive Council discussion of the bylaws, two separate issues arose which would require a change. The first involved the length of the term of the Secretary-Treasurer and Associate Secretary-Treasurer. The Secretary-Treasurer position requires a good deal of knowledge about various accounts, regulations, and CVENT software. By the time she or he really gets the knowledge down, their term is up. Every time the Secretary-Treasurer’s position changes hands new forms need to be signed on our accounts and the accounts may need to be moved to a new bank. It makes more sense for the Secretary-Treasurer to serve a full two year term. That said, the Associate Secretary-Treasurer only needs a one year term to learn the ropes to take over after the Secretary-Treasurer’s term ends. There is also a concern that agreeing to run for Associate Secretary-Treasurer when it is essentially a four year commitment may discourage members from running. We are proposing changing the Secretary-Treasurer to a full two year term, but the Associate Secretary-Treasurer would only be for one year to coincide with the Secretary-Treasurer’s second year. Thus we would only elect the Associate Secretary-Treasurer every other year.

 

  • 2) The second issue involves the election process. It is at times difficult for the Executive Council to find two members eligible and willing to run for each office as required by the current bylaws. We agree that providing the members with a slate of at least two candidates for each office is desirable, but it may be that it will not always be possible. We are proposing new language that allows the council to put forward only one candidate for an office if two cannot be found. Additionally, we propose adding language to codify the current practice of putting out a call for nominations from the membership early enough to be considered by the council to put on the slate. Finally, we propose loosening the window to submit the slate of candidates to the membership to 10 days (60 – 70 days before the annual meeting). The current window of 5 days (60 – 65 days before the annual meeting) can be problematic, especially if council members are traveling or if it were to span a weekend.

A couple of additional items were raised by members and we have added language to address those in the attached draft of the proposed new bylaws with changes tracked.


To see and comment on the proposed bylaws changes, click here (Note: the track changes in the document do not show up properly on mobile browsers).

MAPOR Spring 2018 Newsletter

Inside this issue:

  • A mid-year update from MAPOR’s President Ron Langley.
  • 2018 MAPOR conference Embracing the Diverse Future in Public Opinion Research will take place on November 16-17 in Chicago – submit your abstract through June 30!
  • Students: Enter the competition for the Doris A. Graber Award for Best Public Opinion Paper or the Allan McCutcheon Award for Best Methodology Paper.
  • Remembering MAPOR Fellow and Past President Doris A. Graber for her significant contributions to MAPOR for more than forty years.

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – June 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MONTHLY MEETING NOTES

June 11, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

Attendees: Ron, Jolene, Ned, Patrick, Matt, Ipek, Josh, Colleen, Vanessa, Allison

 

Agenda:

  1. MAPOR @ AAPOR – Reviewed MAPOR’s presence at AAPOR, including our social media present. Several people were tweeting regularly though out the conference and our presence seemed strong.  Ron is following up with AAPOR to make sure that MAPOR materials used at the conference are shipped back on time for the MAPOR conference in November.
  2. Conference Update –
    • Abstract submission numbers this year are comparable with where they were at this time last year.
    • The student paper call is out and reminders to submit student papers will be coming around soon. Council voted on a policy to provide conference registration and luncheon tickets for up to three co-authors in the case of winning papers that have multiple authors.  No change was made to the monetary award amount for winning papers.
    • Council agreed to keep conference fees for 2018 the same as 2017. It was noted that fees have not changed for several years now. They may have to be increased in the future depending on sponsorship and hotel contracts.  Fees for the luncheon have not yet been set; they will be set after meetings with the hotel in which food prices will be determined.
  3. Communications update – Through an EC vote, council has narrowed down the new logo designs to the top few. These will be presented to the membership for a vote in the coming weeks.  Vanessa has been working on coordinating MAPOR social media and is getting infrastructure in place for the EC to use for this purpose.  The June newsletter will be coming out very soon.  It is being finalized now.
  4. Sponsorship update – We are gearing up to start the sponsorship drive for 2018.
  5. Treasurer’s report –
    • Checking: $12,850
    • Savings: $45,015
    • Jolene has updated our PCI compliance documents. EC reviewed MAPOR’s Credit Card Processing Security Policy (i.e., a policy about how we keep credit card information secure) and voted on one small update (i.e., allowing the associate conference chair to have access to Cvent).
    • The EC briefly discussed needing to update some of our materials with the new logo when it is settled upon and to think about the budgetary needs for doing so. No decisions were made at this point.
  6. Website – It was suggested that we need consistent colors (i.e., branding) across all of our communications. We decided to base our colors on the outcome of the logo vote.  We also discussed a couple of changes for the website.  Josh is getting feedback about the website from members and making changes as needed.  Other EC members have access and editing rights to add content to the website, including to an events calendar that we will use to keep membership up to date on important upcoming events.
  7. MAPOR History Group – This group of Fellows is working on compiling MAPOR history and will let the EC know soon if they will have content on time for the upcoming conference.
  8. Webinar update – Patrick has identified a speaker that all of the EC were very positive about for the fall webinar and is working to confirm the speaker’s willingness and availability. More on this soon.
  9. Bylaws Update – The EC will call a special e-meeting for a bylaws vote in the coming weeks.
  10. Face-to-Face meeting/mixer
    • To balance the benefits of a face-to-face meeting with the costs, the EC agreed to have a face-to-face meeting in Chicago this summer with the president, conference committee, and EC members from the Chicago area there in person and others from outside the Chicago area joining by telephone or electronically to save travel costs. We are looking into dates, times, and meeting software for this meeting.
    • Ron suggested exploring Ann Arbor as a possible mixer location for the fall to try to spread the location around and reach members outside Chicago. EC members are looking into the feasibility of this idea.
  11. Other business – Ron asked the EC members to be thinking of nominations for office and ideas for Fellows as he’ll want our ideas on this soon.

 

Next Meeting: Monday July 9, 1:00 ET/Noon CT

2018 Annual Conference

Embracing a Diverse Future in Public Opinion Research

The conference will be held on November 16-17, 2018

Embassy Suites, Downtown Chicago, 600 N. State Street, Chicago, IL 60654


Conference Chair: Ned English

Associate Conference Chair: Dana Garbarski


Submit your papers at the following link:

Submit Your Abstract

All submissions are due by 11:59PM Central Time on June 30, 2018

 

Keynote Speaker Pedagogy Hour Speaker

Jennifer Agiesta Colm O’Muircheartaigh
CNN University of Chicago

Read More

2018 Student Paper Competition

2018 MAPOR Fellows Student Paper Competition

43rd Annual Conference of the

Midwest Association for Public Opinion Research

November 16-17, 2018

Embassy Suites Chicago Downtown, 600 N. State Street

The Midwest Association for Public Opinion Research invites eligible students to enter the association’s MAPOR Fellows Student Paper Competition. Two winning papers, one in public opinion and the other in survey research methodology, will receive an award of $200, one free conference registration and one free ticket to the Friday MAPOR luncheon. The winning papers also will be accepted for presentation during a session at the May 2019 AAPOR conference in Toronto, Canada.

See past winners here.

 

Read More

2018 MAPOR @ AAPOR

As always, MAPOR members are making a big showing at AAPOR this year in Denver from May 16-19. This year’s AAPOR is chaired by former MAPOR president Trent Buskirk and features dozens of presentations by MAPOR members.

Click here for a list of some of the exciting things MAPOR members are doing at AAPOR.

Want to learn more about what is happening at this year’s AAPOR conference?

Check out AAPOR’s 73rd annual conference here.

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – April 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MONTHLY MEETING NOTES

April 9, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

 

Attendees: Ron, Matt, Jolene, Vanessa, Sara, Kevin, Josh, Colleen, Dana, Allison

 

Agenda:

I. 2018 Conference Update (Ned/Dana)

  1. Student activities?

  2. Abstract management software update (Matt)

Conference support committee met last week. They discussed with AAPOR representatives how AAPOR sets up roommate matching and they are exploring how to implement a similar system for MAPOR members.

Committee has ideas for invited panels and other sessions submitted by members. History of MAPOR, Women in Leadership, and Early Career Panel are current possibilities.

Colleen would like to make sure that all student opportunities are well advertised to students. This might also be a good thing to do for persons who are attending the conference for the first time. We could ask if people are registering for the conference for the first time during registration, and send an email specifically to them and students.

Committee feels they are on track for this year’s conference.

Abstract management software – Committee has looked around for other options and followed up with other organizations about what they use. There are multiple options out there – the roadblock seems to be the cost; they are not cheap. Committee will send a summary to council soon about what they feel are the best options.

 

II. MAPOR @ AAPOR   (All)

Council decided to not bring shwag to the PAPOR event because we think people will be focused on networking and not on picking up stuff.

There is support to have a raffle for students – potentially a gift card or cards. EC decided that two, $150 gift cards would be appropriate. Ron will review with AAPOR about what they can re-imburse and make a decision about what to buy.

Ron will follow-up with Ned and Ipek about what they have in their inventory and get back to Kevin about what to send to AAPOR. Kevin will also check the inventory at UChicago and report back to Ron.

 

III. Communications Update         (Mandy/Vanessa)

  1. Doris Graber Memorial for MAPOR website

  2. Doris Graber Memorial at UIC (Ron)

  3. Power point promo for PAPOR reception at AAPOR

  4. Social media engagement        (Vanessa)

Mandy is working to get quotes and comments for the memorial for the website.

Paul Lavrakas will speak about Doris on behalf of MAPOR at the UIC event. Ron and Tim will work with Paul to put together something appropriate.

Vanessa distributed the social media engagement plan to EC which outlines recommendations for actions to be performed in the next few months.  Vanessa will organize these materials to a “social media materials” in the MAPOR Google drive.

Council moved to vote and approved $500 for the MAPOR logo refresh. Vanessa will follow up with the designer about ideas.

 

IV. Treasurer’s Report           (Jolene)

  1. Current update

Savings account: $45,015

Checking account: $12,609

Jolene filed the annual report and 990 form.  

MAPOR will receive $940 from AAPOR for folks who updated their MAPOR membership when they registered for the AAPOR conference.

 

V. Website (Josh)

  1. Site refresh update

The Beta of the new website is up and is open for EC review. Josh can create accounts for anyone who needs to be an editor on the page. Council members had a few quick suggestions for changes but so far the page is looking great.

Photos – What can we do to promote people taking photos at the presentation? Ron will put this on the agenda for the next council meeting. Perhaps we could have a photo contest and provide a small prize for the best photo?

 

VI. MAPOR History Group (Mandy)

Ron sent Paul an email about an update. Although we know Paul has been in contact with some of the fellows, no material has been distributed.

 

VII. Bylaws update (Ron)

Ron has aggregated the materials we need to present when we have the electronic vote. The electronic vote can be done through CVENT. Ron will work with Jolene get that set up.

 

VIII. Sponsorship update (Allison)

No new update at this time.

 

IX. Member benefits  (All)

  1. 2018 Mixer? (F2F meeting?)
  2. Webinar 2?
  3. Other things survey suggests?

We may have a mixer, and are open to considering other locations outside Chicago. We asked about what other conferences MAPOR members attend in the annual survey, perhaps we could use this as a resource to find a location for another mixer this summer?

Council is interested is hosting another webinar. We need to follow-up with Patrick to inquire about any leads. We asked about potential topics in the member survey – this could be a resource for new potential webinar ideas?

The value of a face-to-face meeting is not known at this time. Ron will follow-up with Ipek and Ned about the need to conduct a face-to-face as a lot of the benefit of the face-to-face is in assisting the conference chair.

 

X. Other Business?   

We would like to post meeting minutes to a place that is accessible to all members. Going forward, the secretary-treasurer will post the meeting notes to the Google drive, informing EC to make any edits or changes before a certain date. After the date has passed, the minutes will be posted to a page on the MAPOR web page.

                                                                                                    

Next Meeting: Monday May 14, 1:00 ET/Noon CT

In Memory of MAPOR Fellow Doris Graber

Professor Emeritus Doris A. Graber passed away at her Evanston home on February 17, 2018. Dr. Graber, a political scientist who spent most of her academic career at the University of Illinois in Chicago with additional appointments at Northwestern, the University of Chicago and Harvard, was a researcher and prolific author including 15 textbooks and over 50 book chapters and lectures worldwide. She provided seminal work on the effect of public opinion on the presidency and foreign policy, the role of the media in American politics and political psychology.

Read More