April 18, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Zoom invite:

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  This month we spotlight on everyone who assisted with putting together the first webinar series. Thanks to Rebecca and her colleagues for agreeing to present on behalf of MAPOR. To the others on the Online learning committee – Justine, Jerry, and Erin – for their assistance with logistics and planning. And to Lindsey for her diligent work with the registrations and communications with getting people signed up and paid. Great job, and many thanks to all!

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Attendees: Erin, Lindsey, Leah, Ben, Kevin, David, Dana, Jerry, Rebecca, Patrick, and Hillary


  1. Last meeting’s minutes were approved.
  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates

Leah is going to reach out to Patrick and David to start thinking about themes. She is hoping to have the theme for the next meeting. 

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates
      1. Checking – $28,645.64
      2. Savings – $46,973.13
    2. Membership survey update
      1. Lindsey will close the survey after 4/29. 
    3. Chapter representative meeting update
      1. MAPOR does not have a privacy policy. Lindsey will get the template from AAPOR. 
      2. Lindsey shared that the AAPOR hotel has a union. For the happy hour, we are not allowed to move the table or bring in food. We are also discouraged from bringing in a lot of boxes.
    4. Invoice for AAPOR to support all chapter event – $1,500 – Jeanette Gass – SENT
      1. Lindsey sent the check in 4/15/2022.
    5. CVENT billing – Should we change to another platform?
      1. Lindsey reached out to CVENT for pricing on 4/15/2022.
    6. Zoom monthly to annual?
      1. Zoom reached out after we canceled the extra licenses from the conference to let us know that we could save by purchasing an annual license instead of paying for a monthly license. The monthly license is $179.88/year compared to $149.90/year for an annual license. The EC agreed to move forward with the annual license. 
  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)
    1. April newsletter upcoming – tentative timeline is no later than last week of April
      1. Will also include MAPOR @ AAPOR 

The MAPOR at AAPOR survey is going today. It will be collected the next two weeks and then there will be a digest to members with everything MAPOR members are doing at AAPOR. Webinar communication has gone well. Benjamin would like to include a recap of the webinar series in the newsletter. He wants a first draft of the newsletter ready for review by the end of day for the 29th.

  1. Will have outreach for survey on the content calendar as well
  1. Website                             (Hillary)

Hillary will post things as needed. 

  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Student Fellowship Program

We extended the Student Fellowship deadline by two weeks. Now, we have two applicants, both meeting eligibility criteria. Their materials are very strong so we will likely accept both. The announcement will come out soon.

  1. Sponsorship (Dana)

Nothing to report.

  1. Online Learning Committee           (Justine)
    1. Feedback and discussion on the execution of the first webinar
      1. 200 people registered across the three webinars. On Friday, around 80 people logged on during the webinar.
      2. Fourteen responses were received to the evaluation after the webinar. Three or four were students. The feedback was positive. They ran out of time, so most of the feedback was about that.
      3. We discussed looking at how many students, members, and non-members registered, paid, and logged on after the three webinars to see if we need to adjust our cost structure.
      4. There were some people who asked to register after the deadline. Lindsey and Justine had told them that registration was closed. With so many not logging on for the webinar, those people will now be able to register. 
        1. Justine will send Lindsey the people who reached out to her by end of day Monday. Lindsey will email them and the people who had reached out to her Tuesday and say they can register if they pay by end of day Wednesday. Lindsey will use the payment buttons and enter registration information in the spreadsheet manually. 
    2. Webinars this week and next week
    3. Other events? 
      1. Resume review? 
      2. Speed networking?

The committee will get through the webinar series and AAPOR and then move on to the other event ideas. 

  1. Other business
    1. Mixers in 2022 – waiting for COVID rates to decline – any suggestions for locations
      1. Response from UW Madison has been “cool”

We need a person on the ground to help pick the location. We will try to talk to people about it during the All Chapter Happy Hour. Renting a room has not been cost effective in the past.

  1. AAPOR 2022
    1. Wednesday 6:30-7:30pm – New member/All chapter Happy Hour
      1. It will be great if EC members can attend behind the MAPOR table!
      2. Table cloth (KU will bring)
        1. Kevin washed it. YAY!
      3. MAPOR banner (Dana)
        1. Dana will bring it to the conference.
      4. Other stuff?? (Dana)
        1. Dana will bring an assortment of MAPOR swag.
        2. Dana will coordinate with Justine on a place to keep the swag and banner during that day. Justine knows a room to use.
      5. Raffle or some kind of give away? In the past we have had a raffle, people leave cards and we add them to ‘Friends of MAPOR’ list
        1. Raffle ideas
          1. Webinars, conference registration or membership
          2. A regional basket and we offer shipping
          3. A gift card for something near the conference hotel
          4. A gift cards to correspond with the pub crawl
    2. Thursday, 8-10 pm – All chapter party
      1. Nothing for us to do. 

Congrats to Jerry for being elected the AAPOR Associate Membership and Chapter Relations Chair!!!

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook


Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD