June 9, 2023

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  The MAPOR spotlight of the month goes out to Patrick & Jenny for getting our call for abstracts & participation out!

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

MAPOR Documents & Procedures 

  1. Vision and Mission Statements:
  2. Bylaws:
  3. Robert’s Rules of Order:

Attendees: Paul, Justine, Patrick, Ben, Curtiss, Kevin, Erin, Rebecca, and Lindsey 


  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 


  1. 2023 Conference             (Patrick)
    1. New advertising locations/ideas? 
    2. Support for new programming?
    3. New sponsorships? 

Patrick put out two calls through CVent; call for abstracts and call for participation. Next week, Patrick will send the two calls through AAPORnet. Patrick and Justine will work together on an email to share with other chapters and on social media to try to draw folks to MAPOR. This can be incorporated into the newsletter.

There was a lengthy conversation brainstorming how to find folks who may not know about or think to attend MAPOR. Justine will send an email next Friday to the EC asking each of us to come up with one idea of whom to send this to. 

Patrick will talk to Jenny about getting laptops set up for the conference.

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report   (Lindsey)                
    1. Financial updates


Savings: $47,214.57

  1. Membership list updates

Lindsey will update with June AAPOR list.

All the AAPOR raffle winners have received their prizes. The reimbursement is with AAPOR.

  1. Communications & Website                     (Benjamin)
    1. Newsletter–late June & mid-October?

Ben needs final versions and then it is ready. The hope is to send it the Tuesday after Juneteenth. 

  1. Website updates?

All issues have been resolved. 

  1. OLC Email credentials? 

Ben is looking into the costs for this. There are a lot of options across the seven email addresses we have. We are going to transition three mailboxes; OLC, conference, and everything else MAPOR. We’ll move from $7/month to $21/month, but Ben thinks there is a discount for paying annually.  

  1. Spring/Summer Communication Schedule (bylaws, survey, conference registration)

Ben will work on the MAPORnet listserv transition communication through the newsletter and social media. Ben will update on the website too. 

We are stepping away from Twitter. Ben will look at how to join LinkedIn. 

  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Paul & Curtiss)
    1. Fellowship program updates

One student is deferring to next year because she cannot attend the conference this year. A student from last year is deferring until next year because of family issues. They are struggling to match one of the students after reaching out to four different people. Paul will email the EC to see if anyone else has ideas. The remaining three are matched and already working with their mentors. The committee is getting ready for the travel grants and colleagues grants. 

  1. Sponsorship (Kevin)
    1. Reaching out to new possible sponsors?  A section in the newsletter? 

Kevin is ramping up to recontact the usual suspects and reach out to new folks too.

  1. Online Learning Committee           (Justine)
  2. Integrating fall resume/PD into the conference

They are looking at doing the resume review and will work to flush this out. 

  1. Other ongoing business
    1. Future EC recruitment ideas–starting to plan for upcoming elections 
    2. History of the EC List
    3. Passing the baton–documentation from EC to EC
    4. Bylaws
    5. Tentative tasks for 2023
      1. Not for Profit Annual Report filing
      2. Cvent billing – Should we drop our other platforms?

Need to figure out where to store MAPOR stuff and who can get it to and from the conference. Lindsey will reach out to Justine too to get it on her radar. 

Council members

President – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Vice President / President-Elect – Leah Dean

Past President – Kevin Ulrich

Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Associate Conference Chair – Jenny Marlar

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Sponsorship Coordinator –Kevin Ulrich

Student Liaison – Curtiss Engstrom

Communications & Website Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook, Paul DiPerna, Shalise Ayromloo

Proposed Committees

Conference Committee – Patrick, Jenny, Shalise 

Membership Survey Committee–Justine, Leah, Lindsey, Curtiss, Benjamin

Online Learning Committee – Rebecca Powell (Chair),  Erin Heiden, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Paul DiPerna, Curtiss Engstrom

Secretary-Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Justine Bulgar-Medina

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Curtiss Engstrom, Leah Dean