MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – August 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING NOTES

August 13, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

Attendees: Jolene, Ron, Ned, Mat, Mandy, Vanessa, Josh, Colleen, Sarah, Ipek, Allison, Vicki Pineau (AAPOR)

Agenda:

  • SurveyFest2018 (Vicki/Audris) – AAPOR will be holding an event November 3rd at the University of Illinois in Chicago to attract students to the field. AAPOR is looking to MAPOR for speakers for a panel or other involvement such as helping with advertising or registration. Ipek, Patrick, and Kevin are interested in participating. Colleen is also able to help out. Ipek and Vicki will work to integrate the volunteers into the planning meetings.
  • Conference Update (Ned/Dana)– MAPOR received 132 submissions, up 32 over last year.  Abstracts were reviewed by a team of EC members. Ned and Dana will inform authors of acceptance this week. The interviewer working group is planned again this year. Ned is checking on the need/desire for a second working group.  The goal is to launch the conference registration page before August 31 and to work on creating the program in September.
  • Communications Update (Mandy/Vanessa) – MAPOR will start using the new logo on the website and social media accounts.  The next newsletter will come out in the fall, likely October.  The EC is working on content now.
  • Sponsorship Update (Allison) – MAPOR sponsors have committed about $12,000 for the conference and payment is coming in now. Allison continues to work with the conference committee to incorporate sponsor artwork into the program.
  • Treasurer’s Report (Jolene/Kevin) – Checking: $14,592.24. Savings: $45016.55 .  Jolene and Kevin are working on building the conference registration site.
  • Website (Josh) – Josh is updating the website as needed, including adding the new logo.
  • Webinar Update (Patrick)– Patrick is working on finalizing the Fall webinar.
  • Bylaws Update (Ron) – All proposed changes in the bylaws were approved. Ron will update the official documents with the changes and date of change and work with Josh to get the website updated.  Josh is also tracking down historic bylaws documents.
  • Election (Ron) – The call for nominations yielded 2 self-nominations and one other-nomination.  Ron will start contacting people to gauge interest.  The slate of candidates will be presented to the membership by September 18th. Ron will work on this in the coming weeks.
  • Face to Face Meeting (9/20) / Mixer (All) – Josh and Colleen are working on the Mixer plan, including looking for a date in October to have the mixer in Ann Arbor and thinking through options for having relevant organizations sponsor the mixer and then attend to interface with students.  In this way, MAPOR can help students and potential employers connect.
  • Other Business? – The agenda for the face-to-face meeting in September is under development, but much of the meeting will focus on conference planning. Local (to Chicago) EC members and the conference committee will attend in person.  Everyone else will join electronically to minimize travel expenses.

Next Meeting: Thursday September 20th during the half-day in-person/conference call meeting (12:00 Central).

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – June 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MONTHLY MEETING NOTES

June 11, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

Attendees: Ron, Jolene, Ned, Patrick, Matt, Ipek, Josh, Colleen, Vanessa, Allison

 

Agenda:

  1. MAPOR @ AAPOR – Reviewed MAPOR’s presence at AAPOR, including our social media present. Several people were tweeting regularly though out the conference and our presence seemed strong.  Ron is following up with AAPOR to make sure that MAPOR materials used at the conference are shipped back on time for the MAPOR conference in November.
  2. Conference Update –
    • Abstract submission numbers this year are comparable with where they were at this time last year.
    • The student paper call is out and reminders to submit student papers will be coming around soon. Council voted on a policy to provide conference registration and luncheon tickets for up to three co-authors in the case of winning papers that have multiple authors.  No change was made to the monetary award amount for winning papers.
    • Council agreed to keep conference fees for 2018 the same as 2017. It was noted that fees have not changed for several years now. They may have to be increased in the future depending on sponsorship and hotel contracts.  Fees for the luncheon have not yet been set; they will be set after meetings with the hotel in which food prices will be determined.
  3. Communications update – Through an EC vote, council has narrowed down the new logo designs to the top few. These will be presented to the membership for a vote in the coming weeks.  Vanessa has been working on coordinating MAPOR social media and is getting infrastructure in place for the EC to use for this purpose.  The June newsletter will be coming out very soon.  It is being finalized now.
  4. Sponsorship update – We are gearing up to start the sponsorship drive for 2018.
  5. Treasurer’s report –
    • Checking: $12,850
    • Savings: $45,015
    • Jolene has updated our PCI compliance documents. EC reviewed MAPOR’s Credit Card Processing Security Policy (i.e., a policy about how we keep credit card information secure) and voted on one small update (i.e., allowing the associate conference chair to have access to Cvent).
    • The EC briefly discussed needing to update some of our materials with the new logo when it is settled upon and to think about the budgetary needs for doing so. No decisions were made at this point.
  6. Website – It was suggested that we need consistent colors (i.e., branding) across all of our communications. We decided to base our colors on the outcome of the logo vote.  We also discussed a couple of changes for the website.  Josh is getting feedback about the website from members and making changes as needed.  Other EC members have access and editing rights to add content to the website, including to an events calendar that we will use to keep membership up to date on important upcoming events.
  7. MAPOR History Group – This group of Fellows is working on compiling MAPOR history and will let the EC know soon if they will have content on time for the upcoming conference.
  8. Webinar update – Patrick has identified a speaker that all of the EC were very positive about for the fall webinar and is working to confirm the speaker’s willingness and availability. More on this soon.
  9. Bylaws Update – The EC will call a special e-meeting for a bylaws vote in the coming weeks.
  10. Face-to-Face meeting/mixer
    • To balance the benefits of a face-to-face meeting with the costs, the EC agreed to have a face-to-face meeting in Chicago this summer with the president, conference committee, and EC members from the Chicago area there in person and others from outside the Chicago area joining by telephone or electronically to save travel costs. We are looking into dates, times, and meeting software for this meeting.
    • Ron suggested exploring Ann Arbor as a possible mixer location for the fall to try to spread the location around and reach members outside Chicago. EC members are looking into the feasibility of this idea.
  11. Other business – Ron asked the EC members to be thinking of nominations for office and ideas for Fellows as he’ll want our ideas on this soon.

 

Next Meeting: Monday July 9, 1:00 ET/Noon CT