MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA
February 21, 2022
12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST
Attendees: Kevin, Evgenia, Ben, Rebecca, Leah, Erin, Jerry, Justine, Patrick and Lindsey
MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH: This month we spotlight Leah’s efforts to engage and negotiate with the Embassy Suites staff to review and renew our contract. Thanks for making this happen, Leah! This is not the most exciting task but is necessary to ensure we have a nice cozy, place to land in November for the next three years.
MAPOR Mission Statement
We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.
MAPOR Vision Statement
MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals.
- Approval of last meeting’s minutes
- 2022 Conference (Leah)
- Conference support committee
- Check with hotel about 2021 contract plans
Contract is done. There is a new contracts folder. Patrick is trying to get Daniel Merkle for the keynote. Leah has reached out to Jolene Smyth about the short course and Jill Dever for the pedagogy hour.
- Secretary / Treasurer’s Report (Lindsey)
- Financial updates
- Checking: $26,767.94
- Savings: $46,972.38
- Membership list updates
- The new member list is done. A new list has been created in Cvent and MAPORnet is updated.
- AAPOR should be reaching out soon with new members from the AAPOR renewal option.
- Tentative tasks for 2022
- Taxes are done
- Member survey for 2022?
- Lindsey has questions from Leah, and will dive into the survey tomorrow.
- Not for Profit Annual Report filing
- Lindsey will tackle this in May
- Cvent billing – Should we drop our other platforms?
- Lindsey will tackle this once the Member Survey is in the field.
- MAPOR address ‘move’ to NORC building
- CVENT- Lindsey will see if it needs to be done.
- Chase bank- Done
- IRS- Done
- State of Illinois- Sent a form in for this
- Financial updates
- Communications (Benjamin)
is the MAPOR comms calendar for 2022. People should review, and feel free to make additional suggestions – I’m mostly basing it off of Justine’s calendar from the last couple of years, with tweaks for AAPOR in Chicago.
- Spring newsletter
- Conference Survey Results
- Conference Recap (non-survey, e.g. ‘how did it feel, from the conference coordinator perspective’)
- Upcoming Online Activities
- Any other topics?
The newsletter will go out in March, and will include a student section, announcement for the MAPOR fellowship program, and the conference survey results as part of the letter from the president. Please have materials to Ben by March 2nd.
- Website (Hillary)
- Meeting minutes to website
- Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
- Student fellowship program communications
MAPOR will communicate with fellows after the abstracts have been received so the fellows can be chosen based on the abstract topics.
- Sponsorship (Dana)
- Online Learning Committee (Justine)
- Meeting to discuss goals for 2022
- Other events?
- Resume review?
- Speed networking?
The committee had a kick off meeting a couple weeks ago. Ideas include resume reviews, speed networking, lunch and learn. They plan to have three to five events a year, including an event or two that cater to students or mid-career. Their next step is to set up a regular meeting schedule and work towards something in April. If you have any ideas, please send them to the committee. Justine will send Lindsey a question for the membership survey.
- Student Award Criteria Review Committee – Allyson Holbrook
Kevin sent Allyson the survey responses on why people did not apply for the student paper. She may have a question to add to the Member survey. Kevin will pass that along to Lindsey.
- Other business
- Mixers in 2022 – waiting for COVID rates to decline – any suggestions for locations
Kevin will reach out to John to see if Madison is ready for a mixer.
President – Kevin Ulrich
Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina
Past President – Dana Garbarski
Conference Chair – Leah Dean
Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh
Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson
Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson
Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski
Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz
Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro
Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook
Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett
Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook
Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz
Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich
Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz
AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD
GO MAPOR GO!