June 21 2021

12:30 – 2:00 CST/1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Zoom invite

MAPOR MOMENT of the MONTH:  Our MAPOR Moment of the Month goes to Leah Dean. Congrats to Leah on the birth of her beautiful baby! 

Attendees: Kevin, Evgenia, Lindsey, Ned, John, Bob, Hillary, David, Leah, Sara, Patrick, and Justine, 


  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes


  1. 2021 Conference             (David, Leah)
    1. Updates

Twelve abstracts have been submitted. The abstract deadline will get extended a couple weeks. Then, they will do more communication around it. Will do a survey of members in August or September to see what the in-person/remote split looks like. Embassy Suites is going to keep the same room rates as is in the contract ($224/night for a king, $254/night for two doubles). The goal is as much in person as possible. David will go to Embassy Suites to check out the meeting room set-ups and tech. 

  1. Member Survey (Lindsey, Kevin, Hillary, Evgenia)
    1. Any discussion of results?

Lindsey went through the results in the newsletter.

  1. Treasurer’s Report                 (Lindsey, Kevin)
    1. Updates

Checking: $28,712.02

Savings: $46,969.23

We received $1,100 from AAPOR for MAPOR memberships paid through AAPOR.

  1. Communications                     (Justine)
    1. Updates

Justine sent out the newsletter this morning. She will be working on conference communications. Will play up the in-person conference format with a virtual option. Bob shared an issue some PAPOR members had in getting funding to attend the in-person conference because there was also a virtual option. There was a lot of discussion about whether or not to plan on the virtual option and the language around that.  

  1. Website                             (Patrick, Dana, Hillary)
    1. Updates

Things are good at this point. 

  1. Webinars           (Patrick, Lindsey)
    1. Ideas for webinar in  October

Patrick wants to look at new technologies and/or methods for the fall webinar.

  1. Sponsorship           (John, Bob, Dana)
    1. Updates

They have eight yes’s and two or three likely’s. Already have $2,000 in payments. John will send Lindsey an email to send out to the Friends of MAPOR group. John will email sponsors this fall for graphics and such. One potential silver sponsor has asked for two free registrations instead of one. They have sponsored for years, so the decision was made to give them two free registrations for just this year. 

  1. Student Fellowship Program     (Ned, Dana, Evgenia)
    1. Updates: Dana checked in, all going well from both students’ and mentors’ perspectives!

Evgenia suggested something in the newsletter or a mini-session about the program and how it went the first year in hopes of getting more people interested. Kevin would also like to have individual conversations with everyone involved. 

  1. Colleague/student support grant (Ned, Dana)
    1. Updates: released with call for participation, no applications yet.
  1. Student/Early career programs                             (Ned, Dana, Evgenia, Leah)
    1. Updates
    2. [ideas of spending funds not earmarked as operational reserves to expand reach to students and early career folks (reduce costs for short course, webinar, registration; conference travel awards)] 

They will circle back to travel grants now that we know that the conference will be in person.

  1. Outreach committee             (Evgenia, Bob, David)
    1. Updates
    2. [Ideas for this committee to discuss:
      1. Mixers
      2. First time attendee retention
      3. reach out to professors: this is what we can offer to your students
      4. Focus on outreach to departments, schools and organizations we don’t see at MAPOR]

Evgenia sent emails out to students, professors, and others that work at universities last week with advantages of attending the conference. She would also like to reach out to businesses with the early career awards in mind, but is not sure who to send these emails to. David suggested reaching out to MAPOR cheerleaders, including current and former council members and fellows. This week, Evgenia will reach out to folks who have not attended the conference in the past. 

Discussed trying to do a MAPOR mixer in Wisconsin. John will look at their union space.

  1. Other committees that will have work at a later date/next council:
    1. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana)
    2. Speed Networking (Ned, Justine)
    3. MAPOR conference attendee Code of Conduct (TBD)
    4. Bylaws update (TBD)
  1. Other business?                                                                                                        

Committee Composition

  1. Conference (Sara, Ned, Dana, David, Leah)
  2. Sponsorship (John and Bob)
  3. Webinar (Patrick, Lindsey)
  4. Website (Patrick, Hillary, Dana)
  5. Communications (Justine)
  6. Sec-treas support (Lindsey, Kevin, Hillary)
  7. Student Fellowship Program (Ned, Dana, Evgenia)
  8. Student/Early career programs  (Ned, Dana, Evgenia, Leah)
  9. Colleague grants/tiered registration (Ned, Dana)
  10. Outreach committee (Evgenia, Lindsey, Bob, David)
  11. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana)
  12. Speed Networking (Ned, Justine)
  13. MAPOR conference attendee Code of Conduct (TBD)

Council members

President – Dana Garbarski

Vice President – Kevin Ulrich

Past President – Ned English

Conference Chair – David Sterrett

Associate Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson 

Associate Secretary-Treasurer – Vacant

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Hillary Hanson, Ed Ledek, Sara Walsh 

Sponsorship Coordinator – John Stevenson 

Webinar and Website Coordinator – Patrick Hsieh

Communications Chair – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Student Liaison- Evgenia Kapousouz