May 19, 2023

11:30 – 12:30 CST / 12:30 pm –1:30pm EST

Link: Click here to join the meeting

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  The MAPOR spotlight of the month goes out to Curtiss, Paul, Patrick, and Jenny for the Student Fellowship and Conference Speakers planning/launches!

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

MAPOR Documents & Procedures 

  1. Vision and Mission Statements:
  2. Bylaws:
  3. Robert’s Rules of Order:

Attendees: Justine, Paul, Jenny, Lindsey, Leah, Jerry, Rebecca, Erin, and Patrick


  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 


  1. 2023 Conference             (Patrick)
    1. Support needs & update
    2. Call for participation
      1. Any outstanding decisions/opportunities for feedback? 
    3. New advertising locations/ideas? 
    4. Speed networking/resume review/OLC integration at conference? 

Patrick asked for thoughts on extending the pedagogy hour to 75 or 90 minutes. If we extend it, he has one more, potential pedagogy hour panelist. We could shorten lunch before and refreshments after or make the Q&A part of the refreshments to make room for a 75-minute pedagogy hour. Lindsey mentioned that we will pay for travel, hotel, registration, and expenses for each person on the panel. We’ll want to make sure all of that is in the conference registration costs. 

We’ll have an immemorial session. 

The feedback for the networking over the break will need to be more organized. Jenny will think through how to possibly do this differently this year. We also discussed having more of a company forum instead of speed networking.

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report   (Lindsey)                
    1. Financial updates
      1. $21,645.72 checking
      2. 47,214.15 savings
    2. Membership list updates
      1. There were no AAPOR membership updates in May, so Lindsey will update the list when it becomes available in June. 
    3. AAPOR Wrap-up
      1. Lindsey reached out to the MAPOR/AAPOR reception winners. She has heard from three, and those are ordered and two are on their way. Once, they are all ordered, Lindsey will send the receipts to AAPOR for reimbursement. 
      2. Kevin has the raffle entries and will share them with Lindsey to add to the mailing list. 
    4. Cvent contract
      1. Signed and paid
  1. Communications & Website                     (Benjamin)
    1. Newsletter
    2. Website updates
    3. Spring/Summer Communication Schedule (bylaws, survey, conference registration)
  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Paul & Curtiss)
    1. Fellowship program updates

Five student fellows, three are matched to a MAPOR fellow

  1. Sponsorship (Kevin)
    1. Reaching out to new possible sponsors?  A section in the newsletter? 
  1. Online Learning Committee           (Justine)
  2. Spring 3-part series on Web Surveys was held in April

We need to get a new email address for them that they can send from. Justine will schedule a meeting with Ben to get this worked out. 

The spring webinar was a success. They will send Lindsey information to pay the honorarium. 

The fall webinar series will be around resume review.

  1. Other business
    1. Future EC recruitment ideas–starting to plan for upcoming elections 
    2. History of the EC List
    3. Passing the baton–documentation from EC to EC
    4. Bylaws
    5. Tentative tasks for 2023
      1. Not for Profit Annual Report filing
      2. Cvent billing – Should we drop our other platforms?
    6. Note: Lindsey filed our taxes earlier this year, working on tax exemption status in IL.

Justine has a survey programmed. The OLC will send new questions to add. Then, it will go out in June. 

Council members

President – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Vice President / President-Elect – Leah Dean

Past President – Kevin Ulrich

Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Associate Conference Chair – Jenny Marlar

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Sponsorship Coordinator –Kevin Ulrich

Student Liaison – Curtiss Engstrom

Communications & Website Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook, Paul DiPerna, Shalise Ayromloo

Proposed Committees

Conference Committee – Patrick, Jenny, Shalise 

Membership Survey Committee–Justine, Leah, Lindsey, Curtiss, Benjamin

Online Learning Committee – Rebecca Powell (Chair),  Erin Heiden, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Paul DiPerna, Curtiss Engstrom

Secretary-Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Justine Bulgar-Medina

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Curtiss Engstrom, Leah Dean