March 22, 2021

12:30 – 2:00 CST/1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Zoom invite

MAPOR MOMENT of the MONTH:  Lindsey taking on the Secretary/Treasurer role


Attendees: Dana, Kevin, David, Leah, Evgenia, John, Hillary, Patrick, Ned, Bob, Lindsey

Stephanie sent letter to the President resigning from her position on March 15th. Kevin put forward a motion for Lindsey to fill the position. Bob seconded. Membership voted and it was approved. 

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes

Minutes were approved from the February meeting

  1. 2021 Conference             (David/Leah)
    1. Updates

The hotel will be providing a quote on the use of their technology. In May, the committee will send communication out about the 2021 conference. The content of that communication language will be discussed in the April meeting. David reached out to a few potential speakers. They will also look at the member survey data to help determine the size of the room block needed.

  1. Member Survey               (Stephanie, Lindsey, Hillary)
    1. Updates

One more email reminder will be sent. The survey currently has a 37% response rate. The survey will remain open until the end of March. The results will go in the next newsletter, but we do not know when that is. Hillary will clean the data. Evgenia offered to analyze the data.

  1. Treasurer’s Report                               (Stephanie)
    1. Updates

Checking:  $28,544

Savings: $46,968

  1. Communications                     (Justine)
    1. Updates

No updates.

  1. Website                             (Patrick/Dana/Hillary)
    1. Updates

Dana will make the changes that Lindsey is the new Secretary/Treasurer. Patrick will change the secretary email to go to Lindsey in GoDaddy.

  1. Webinars             (Patrick/Lindsey)
    1. April Webinar update

Patrick has the website page done. Lindsey will communicate with the speakers. Patrick will take on the tech responsibilities.  Lindsey will send the emails to the MAPOR and AAPOR list serves. 

[2021 webinar in  October]

  1. Sponsorship (John, Bob, Dana)
    1. Updates

The committee continues to work on this. There was also discussion that there should be a continual conversation in relation to webinars and newsletters about sponsorship. Sponsorship is for the entire year and helps reduce webinar costs and such. Dana or John will draft something to send out to past sponsors.

  1. Student Fellowship Program (Ned, Dana, Evgenia)
    1. Updates

The deadline was extended by two weeks. Three fellowships were given. Thank you to Dana, Kevin and Ned who reviewed everything! They are now connecting the students with their identified mentors who they will meet with once a month. They are going to get feedback in the summer and end of the year from students and mentors to know how it went.

  1. Student/Early career programs                             (Ned, Dana, Stephanie, Evgenia, Leah)
    1. Draft student and colleague support award applications, to be released around the time of the MAPOR call for abstracts
    2. Updates from our meeting
    3. [ideas of spending operational reserves on expanding reach to students and early career folks (reduce costs for short course, webinar, registration; conference travel awards)] 

People should give feedback in the next few weeks so Dana can incorporate it before the next month’s meeting

  1. Outreach committee     (Evgenia, Lindsey, Bob, David)
    1. Updates
    2. [Ideas for this committee to discuss:
      1. Mixers
      2. First time attendee retention
      3. reach out to professors: this is what we can offer to your students
      4. Focus on outreach to departments, schools and organizations we don’t see at MAPOR]

Evgenia wants to send an email to conference attendees and non-attendees (people who have left over the last few years). She has some college departments identified to email as well. The email will discuss the conference. Depending on how COVID continues, there may be an in person mixer in Chicago this summer. 

  1. Committee structure
    1. Updates and volunteers

Discussed with other business.

  1. Schedule September meeting
    1. DG proposing Zoom, Friday afternoon the third week of September

The meeting will take place through Zoom on a Friday from 1pm to 5pm CST.

  1. Other committees that will have work at a later date/next council:
    1. Colleague grants/tiered registration (Ned, Dana, Stephanie)
    2. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana)
    3. Speed Networking (Ned, Justine)
    4. MAPOR conference attendee Code of Conduct (TBD)
    5. Bylaws update (TBD)

Lindsey, Kevin, and Stephanie are coming off other committees. Please consider helping with other committees. 

AAPOR is a great time to scout for future webinars and future MAPOR conference speakers. 

The webinar committee should look at the webinar topic information from the member survey to help identify requested topics and then use this information to scout for future webinar speakers during AAPOR.

  1. Other business?                                                                                                        

Evgenia suggested a session or panel on how to structure one’s work. David and Leah will see if there is room in the conference schedule.

Committee Composition

  1. Conference (Sara, Ned, Dana, David, Leah)
  2. Sponsorship (John and Bob)
  3. Webinar (Patrick, Lindsey)
  4. Website (Patrick, Hillary, Dana)
  5. Communications (Justine)
  6. Sec-treas support (Stephanie, Lindsey, Hillary)
  7. Student Fellowship Program (Ned, Dana, Evgenia)
  8. Student/Early career programs  (Ned, Dana, Stephanie, Evgenia, Leah)
  9. Colleague grants/tiered registration (Ned, Dana, Stephanie)
  10. Outreach committee (Evgenia, Lindsey, Kevin, Bob, David)
  11. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana)
  12. Speed Networking (Ned, Justine)
  13. MAPOR conference attendee Code of Conduct (TBD)

Council members

President – Dana Garbarski

Vice President – Kevin Ulrich

Past President – Ned English

Conference Chair – David Sterrett

Associate Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson 

Associate Secretary-Treasurer – Vacant

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Hillary Hanson, Ed Ledek, Sara Walsh 

Sponsorship Coordinator – John Stevenson 

Webinar and Website Coordinator – Patrick Hsieh

Communications Chair – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Student Liaison- Evgenia Kapousouz