September 24, 2021

10:00 am-12:00 pm, 1:00– 3:00 pm CDT

Zoom invite

MAPOR MOMENT of the MONTH:  All of us for what we are about to pull off over the next two months!


Morning session 10am-12pm

Attendees: Dana, Lindsey, Kevin, Leah, David, Ned, Hillary, John, Sara, Patrick, and Evgenia

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes


  1. Treasurer’s Report                 (Lindsey, Kevin)
    1. checking/savings

Checking: $37,552.18

Savings: $46,970.44

  1. Sponsorship           (John, Bob, Dana)
    1. Updates

There are spreadsheets in the Google Drive sponsorship folder with information multiple people need. Everyone has paid. John went through the spreadsheets and folders to show others in the EC where relevant information is for them. 

Discussed encouraging sponsors to share information about internships. The sponsors will be updated on the website on 10/1.

  1. 2021 Conference             (David)

We will offer a hybrid format for all aspects of the conference except possibly giving feedback or asking questions during the sessions. The member survey showed a 50/50 split between attending in person and attending virtually. Hoping for 160 registrants. Planning for five session blocks, which is the usual amount, with four sessions per block. Each room will have a Zoom link and function as a webinar using the computer’s camera and microphone. 

Virtual presenters will present live through screen share. MAPOR will provide practice sessions so virtual presenters can try things out and ease concerns. Virtual presentations can go first in the session so if there are any issues, the virtual presenters have time in the session to fix their issue and still present before the session is over.

All sessions will be recorded to watch later for all conference goers, virtual and in-person. As a result, we will need to communicate with presenters that they cannot opt out of sharing their presentation. The presentations will be saved onto the Zoom cloud and then moved to the MAPOR share drive. Patrick feels the Zoom files will be small enough to save on the MAPOR share drive without incurring costs. 

Each session will have a “normal” moderator and also a tech moderator. No discussants this year. MAPOR will require that pre-recorded presentations need to be recorded using Power Point or Zoom. 

The food type options will stay the same, but more items may be individually wrapped. Hotel staff may have servers at the Friday buffet. MAPOR will subsidize the Friday lunch, but there will be a fee ($30) for the lunch for non-student attendees. There will be an open bar and appetizers during the happy hour.

All in-person participants will have to upload their vaccination cards and sign a waiver. Masks will be required. The rooms will have half the number of chairs as normal, the chairs will be spaced out, and we will not allow standing room. 

Presenters need to have a final decision on whether they are presenting in-person or virtually by 10/19. Attendees will decide when they register if they will attend in-person or virtually, but we will allow folks to change to the other format after registration if requested. All cost reimbursements will be handled at the conference. If they got the early bird rate when they first registered, they will get the early bird rate for the format they ended up using.

David will work with DTP (?, the printer) to format and print the program. Kevin will do inventory on the storage unit to determine what else is needed.

David will group presentations together for sessions based on content rather than format. David will see if the three posters want to switch to methodological briefs. 

Lunch 12-1pm

Afternoon session 1-3pm

  1. Finish 2021 conference items                                                                                       (David)

Speed networking will likely be hybrid and its own session. We will hold the resume workshop outside of the conference. 

Technology moderators will be in the room to troubleshoot tech issues, so the traditional moderator can focus on their usual responsibilities. Both moderators will be in-person. Virtual council members can also pop in and out of multiple sessions to make sure everything is working from the virtual-side. 

Dana will take the lead on selecting and purchasing computers for the conference. Also, we need to purchase Zoom licenses and Microsoft Office licenses. David will see if we can purchase our own lapel microphones or if we have to rent the hotel’s.

  1. Webinars           (Patrick)
    1. Ideas for webinar in  October
    2. update on new tech/methods for fall

Justine will do a webinar in October on SOGI questions. Patrick is hoping to get someone else to take over this role.

  1. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana)
    1. Update (Ned)

We reviewed the process Ned proposed. Council members should send Ned nominations by 10/1. Then, Council will vote on their first, second, and third choices the following week. 

  1. AAPOR regional Chapter Representative Meeting – 9/9/21 (Kevin)
    1. Accounting for dues from national
      1. We need to send ACH form to AAPOR MCR
      2. We need to provide feedback on dues procedure
      3. Designate communications person for chapter rep listserv

Kevin and Dana will be the representatives.

  1. Conduct policy
    1. Do we post conduct policy on our website?
    2. When do members accept conduct policy?

We need to add the AAPOR conduct policy to our website. Lindsey will add agreeing to the AAPOR code of conduct when paying for a MAPOR membership through the MAPOR website or through conference registration.

  1. AAPOR 2022 in Chicago (May 10-13) (Kevin)
    1. MAPOR will not have an on-site EC meeting at AAPOR
    2. AAPOR will re-imburse $250 for raffle
    3. MCR will be in touch about set-up and shipment of materials to Chicago
    4. Off site party
      1. What would we like to do?
      2. How much to contribute?
      3. Location ideas?

MAPOR will contribute the same amount as in past years. No one else had thoughts about this.

  1. Student paper competition
    1. Winner of competition from MAPOR conference will attend next AAPOR conference
  2. Other business?                                                                                                         

Committee Composition

  1. Conference (Sara, Ned, Dana, David, Leah)
  2. Sponsorship (John and Bob)
  3. Webinar (Patrick, Lindsey)
  4. Website (Patrick, Hillary, Dana)
  5. Communications (Justine)
  6. Sec-treas support (Lindsey, Kevin, Hillary)
  7. Student Fellowship Program (Ned, Dana, Evgenia)
  8. Student/Early career programs  (Ned, Dana, Evgenia, Leah)
  9. Colleague grants/tiered registration (Ned, Dana)
  10. Outreach committee (Evgenia, Lindsey, Bob, David)
  11. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana)
  12. Speed Networking (Ned, Justine)
  13. MAPOR conference attendee Code of Conduct (TBD)

Council members

President – Dana Garbarski

Vice President – Kevin Ulrich

Past President – Ned English

Conference Chair – David Sterrett

Associate Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson 

Associate Secretary-Treasurer – Vacant

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Hillary Hanson, Ed Ledek, Sara Walsh 

Sponsorship Coordinator – John Stevenson 

Webinar and Website Coordinator – Patrick Hsieh

Communications Chair – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Student Liaison- Evgenia Kapousouz