December 14, 2020

12:30 – 2:00 CST/1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Zoom invite

MAPOR MOMENT of the MONTH:  Our MAPOR Moment of the Month is for our outgoing council for a successful MAPOR 2020, with special thanks to our Conference Chair Sara Walsh.  MAPOR 2020 was an outstanding event characterized by professional execution and collaboration.   


Attendees: Patrick, Stephanie, Lindsey, Dana, Bob, John, Leah, Hillary, Kevin, Evgenia, David, Justine, Sara

November meeting minutes approved.

  1. Welcome New Council Members: Introductions
    1. Bob Davis, Hillary Hanson, John Stevenson

Introductions of new and returning Council members

  1. 2020-2021 Council Transition             (Dana/All)
    1. Monthly meeting schedule
    2. MAPOR Google Group; Google Drive; Website; and MAPORnet
    3. Committee members/new roles/transition meetings (listed below and for discussion)

Proposal to keep 3rd Monday monthly Council meetings, 12:30-2:00p central.

Let Dana know if you have an alternative email you’d like to use for access to Google Drive. Also, if you need to be added to listserv. 

Review of new subcommittee structure plan (see end of agenda). 

  1. 2020 Conference Debrief                         (Sara/All)
    1. All expenses paid 
    2. Thank you notes to sponsors
    3. Conference overview
    4. Business meeting items

50% of Cadmium payment still outstanding; technical consultant (Karen Allison) has been fully paid. No other outstanding expenses.

Notes have not been send to sponsors yet. Dana will follow up with Sara.

  1. 2021 Conference             (David/Leah)
    1. Conference support committee 
    2. check with hotel about 2021 contract plans
    3. Other items

Goal is to have some sort of hybrid approach in 2021 that includes in-person component similar to past years, as well as some remote capabilities to accommodate people who can’t travel, don’t have funding support, etc.

David will reach out to Embassy Suites, to request a 90-day notice contract (instead of current 180-day window) – this would mean a decision needs to be made by end of August. We also may try to reduce the minimum room block number. 

Conference committee will decide best approach on conference technology acquisitions (e.g. purchasing Chromebooks). Will make sure it’s compatible with new tech installed in conference hotel.

Idea of recruiting speakers who have ties to MAPOR (“MAPOR roots”); try to incorporate more “methodological” component, to integrate with substantive topics; call on MAPOR Fellows for keynote; for Pedagogy hour, focus on attitudinal/communications; for short course, will review recent topics, maybe something around questionnaire design. Send David/Leah any additional ideas/suggestions.  

  1. Member Survey                                         (Stephanie)
    1. Plan to launch when?
    2. Committee to support sec-treas
    3. Next steps

Will build on work Kevin did on 2020 survey to streamline content. Obviously update to reflect virtual conference. Plan to send ~late January/early February, and continue to use Qualtrics for administration. Stephanie will work on draft with subcommittee and Dana, share update at next month’s meeting.

  1. Treasurer’s Report                               (Stephanie)
    1. Updates
    2. Membership list updates

Current balances:

Checking: $37,638

Savings:   $46,967

Stephanie will update membership list by end of December, incorporating list of members who joined through AAPOR plus results of email membership push to past members. 

  1. Communications                     (Justine)

Justine will send reminder this week to compile content for Winter newsletter, plan to circulate mid-January. Dana will review past-year content, and decide whether we will circulate 3 or 4 newsletters this year. Option to have 2 “big” ones and 2 “small” ones. 

Idea to host a “game night” or other on-line mixer

  1. Website                             (Patrick/Dana/Hillary)
    1. Updates
    2. Need to add new councilors and positions to websites
    3. Ability to upload conference presentations

Plan to link to presentations on Google Drive from website. 

Some discussion around how to best manage the website, requests for posting content, etc. Adding Dana and Hillary as resources will help. 

Cleaned up who will receive the general MAPOR emails (president@, secretary@, info@).

  1. Webinars             (Patrick/Lindsey)
    1. Plan for 2021

GoToWebinar is not as functional as Zoom, but might work well enough (to not incur Zoom license cost). We can subscribe to GoToWebinar just in the months that we need it. Plan to host two webinars in 2021. Open to ideas on topics/speakers. Will take a look at last year’s survey responses with suggestions for topics. 

  1. Other business?                                                    

Question on status of Student Fellowship announcement – it is final, Evgenia will send this week. 

Evgenia asked students for input on the conference. Results mostly positive, especially around networking opportunity. Is there a way to expand this?

Proposal of an outreach program to professors, not necessarily targeting students. Alternatively, could we think about how to maximize first-time attendee retention with MAPOR.                

John is thinking about sponsorship/fundraising strategy. Stephanie will follow up with him to review current expense/revenue spreadsheet. 

Discussion on how to better collaborate on outreach (esp. student) ideas across MAPOR, PAPOR, etc. Bob added to Outreach subcommittee. 

Next meeting will be scheduled for Jan 11.                             

Committee Composition (updated with notes from Dana’s 12/15 email)

  1. Conference (Sara, Ned, Dana, David, Leah)
    1. Hybrid format, Reusable signage, Chromebooks
    2. Speakers and conference themes
  2. Sponsorship (John and Bob)
    1. How hard of a push should we be making?
  3. Webinar (Patrick, Lindsey)
    1. April & October
  4. Website (Patrick, Hillary, Dana)
    1. Meet to discuss website updates this week
  5. Communications (Justine)
    1. Plan on 2 larger newsletters and 1-2 smaller
  6. Sec-treas support (Stephanie, Lindsey, Hillary)
    1. Member survey revision in Feb/March
  7. Student Fellowship Program (Ned, Kevin, Dana, Evgenia)
    1. Advertising now
  8. Student/Early career programs  (Ned, Kevin, Dana, Stephanie, Evgenia, Leah)
    1. ideas of spending operational reserves on expanding reach to students and early career folks (reduce costs for short course, webinar, registration; conference travel awards) 
  9. Colleague grants/tiered registration (Ned, Kevin, Dana, Stephanie)
    1. Discuss what this looks like and for how long we continue
  10. Outreach committee (Evgenia, Lindsey, Kevin, Bob, David)
    1. Membership drive: Kevin did a cvent comparison of 2019 and 2020 conference registration, and sent a note about membership for this year.
    2. First time attendee retention
    3. Reach out to professors
    4. Focus on outreach to departments, schools and organizations we don’t see at MAPOR
    5. Mixers (virtual mixer in Feb/March)
  11. MAPOR Fellow nomination criteria (Ned, Dana, Kevin)
  12. Speed Networking (Ned, Justine)
  13. MAPOR conference attendee Code of Conduct (TBD)

Council members

President – Dana Garbarski

Vice President – Kevin Ulrich

Past President – Ned English

Conference Chair – David Sterrett

Associate Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Secretary-Treasurer – Stephanie Chardoul

Associate Secretary-Treasurer – Vacant

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Hillary Hanson, Ed Ledek, Sara Walsh, Lindsey Witt-Swanson 

Sponsorship Coordinator – John Stevenson 

Webinar and Website Coordinator – Patrick Hsieh

Communications Chair – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Student Liaison- Evgenia Kapousouz