2022 MAPOR Fall Webinar Series

SOGI Webinar

Matt Jans
Lead Statistician
NHANES/NCHS
Gretchen McHenry
Survey Methodologist
RTI International

November 4th at 11:30am to 1:00pm CST

Title: Taking the pulse on SOGI measurement: Best practices and discussion

Presenters: Matt Jans & Gretchen McHenry

Duration: 90 min

Including sexual orientation and gender identity (SOGI) measures in surveys has expanded rapidly, and best practices for their use have progressed in kind. To produce accurate, high-quality data on overlapping, yet unique LGBTQI+ communities, these best practices must be continually monitored and compared to survey measures currently in use. In order to promote this monitoring and comparison in the survey community, this webinar has three goals: 1) introduce and reinforce SO and GI terminology, question writing best practices, and the research that supports them; 2) share the presenters’ recent experiences developing SOGI measures and adding them to surveys on a wide range of topics, and; 3) provide a discussion space for the presenters to advise attendees on SOGI measure inclusion in their own surveys. The longer duration of this webinar allows us to spend a lot of time on goal 3, so please come with draft questions or situations and be prepared to share!

About the presenters:

                Matt Jans, PhD: Matt is a survey methodologist with 20+ years experience in all aspects of survey design, but specializing in questionnaire design. For almost 10 years, he has been developing SOGI measures, and contributing to best practices on their use.

                Gretchen McHenry, MS: Gretchen is a survey methodologist with 15 years experience, specializing in questionnaire development and qualitative research. She regularly leads projects designing and pretesting SOGI questions for diverse survey populations.

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – October 2022

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA

October 17, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  

Many thanks to the entire Executive Council for all of your work in preparing for the conference this year! It was a pleasure to serve with all of you. 

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Agenda:

Attendees: Evgenia, Erin, Leah, Lindsey, Kevin, Hillary, Benjamin, Rebecca, David, Dana and Patrick

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 

Approved.

  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates
    2. Call for participation update
    3. Registration update

Currently, we have 55 registrants: 41 general and 14 student registrants. Leah will send out reminders this week and next week. All of the event orders are ready to go, but the hotel suggested waiting to submit them until 11/11 when we have final numbers. One of the short conference presenters had to drop out, but they have a replacement. We will get that changed on the website and Cvent. Leah is working on the program. RTI will provide a graphic designer for the programmer. Leah is working on assigning the moderators to the sessions. Leah will also send an email to all presenters with length and other presentation specifications. Virtual presenters will need to send a recording of their presentation before the conference with a clear contact information slide so conference participants can reach out to them with questions. Leah will reach out to Evgenia and Benjamin to get folks paired for the networking coffee. The hotel did not give us a minimum room block but did express that they may have limited capacity past the block maximum. 

Allyson Holbrook is working on the student paper competition. Evgenia suggested having more than one student paper winner for each category in future years. Kevin will reach out to Allyson with the suggestion. We discussed rewording the description to be vaguer about the number of paper winners knowing we may not always have enough submissions or funds to pay multiple winners for each category every year.

Kevin will set up a What’s Ap group for the EC to use at the conference. Leah and Patrick will connect with the hotel AV staff. 

Lindsey and Kevin will figure out what we need for supplies, so we have them before we set up Thursday night.  

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report   (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates

Checking: $44,693.83

Savings: $47,211.46

  1. Illinois Tax Exemption Form Rejected
  2. Registered agent form for 2022 is hopefully now paid
  3. We need to get Leah added to the bank account and get her a debit card.
  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)
    1. Next newsletter – deadline for content is due

Benjamin will get the newsletter out and post on social media. 

  1. Website                           (Hillary)

Hillary will post the newsletter and updated program on the website. 

  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Communications for MAPOR support grants
    2. Communications to student presenters

Leah will put together a list of students who will present at the conference, so Evgenia and Bob can inform them of the grant opportunity. Bob sent the email a few weeks ago. 

Evgenia will schedule the student events. 

The applicants are either approved or not and paid as they come along. So far, two people have been accepted and paid. Our budget is $8,000 a year, so we can give out more if applicants come in.

  1. Sponsorship (Dana)

All the sponsor artwork is in and the website can now be updated. We are waiting for two outstanding sponsor payments. Patrick will make a screensaver with sponsor logos. Then, folks can test it out.

We will have four or five sponsor exhibit tables. No one should need name tags. Leah will let the hotel know that we need these tables set up for Thursday night. 

  1. Online Learning Committee               (Justine)

The fall webinar series will take place on SOGI, veterans affairs, and racial inclusivity and cultural competency topics. This will be a three-part series leading into the conference. They will put together one registration process, and attendees will be able to attend as much as they are able to throughout the three weeks. 

The information will go out soon.

  1. Other business

The deadline to add anyone to the ballot is tomorrow. The election has to be completed 11/9.

There will not be an EC meeting in November. Then, Justine will work on schedule meetings moving forward. 

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook

Committees

Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – September 2022

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA

September 19, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Attendees: Lindsey, David, Benjamin, Bob, Hillary, Kevin, Rebecca, Evgenia, Dana, Jerry, Leah, Patrick, and Justine

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  

Thanks to Leah for pushing through and getting the registration and abstract notification process ready to go. Navigating Cvent is always a challenge and they made things more complicated by forcing us to utilize their new system this year. Thank you for pushing this through!!

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Agenda:

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 

Minutes approved.

  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates
    2. Call for participation update
    3. Registration update

Cvent is for the most part set up. The preliminary program is in progress. There are currently four gold sponsors. Dana is planning to have two gold sponsors for the keynote and two sponsors for the pedagogy hour. We will not have specific sponsors for the other individual components like we have in the past. There will be the speed networking event and a separate coffee networking hour. All the paper presentation authors have accepted. There are two posters that have not yet accepted. Participation in the speed networking section is in the registration process currently. Patrick is going to reach out to the laptop rental folks David used last year. Leah wants to make sure that we have the registration ready to go either later this week or early next week. Then, the EC can help test it out. 

Everything is going well with the hotel. Leah is going to get them the abbreviated schedule. She will also ask when they need the initial payment. Numbers are not due until mid-October. 

Evgenia suggested a session geared towards giving students advice on how to publish, which will be discussed for next year. 

Dana and Leah will send Lindsey the list of speakers, paper winners, and sponsors who will be using discount codes, so she can make sure they are being used appropriately as folks register for the conference. 

Leah will send Lindsey a list of presenters, so Lindsey can add it to the Cvent Friends of MAPOR group. Then, they will receive all the registration and conference information. 

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report   (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates

Checking: $38,59.29

Savings: $47,211.08

  1. Credit card processing

Lindsey has successfully completed the test. We will also test it among EC members before broadcasting the registration link.

  1. MAPOR privacy policy
    1. Submitted

There is already a registration question asking about time in the field including an answer option for experience of less than two years. Kevin and Evgenia confirmed that this is what they want to identify early career attendees.

Kevin asked that the grant information be included in the registration process. Lindsey can add it to the summary page. Bob and Evgenia will draft language to use. 

Lindsey has not heard anything about tax exemption status. She will figure out who to follow-up with. 

SSRS has offered to plan and pay for the All Chapter Party. Some chapters have concerns, including that some attendees may feel uncomfortable if they work for a SRSS competitor and folks may miss the RSVP notifications. DCAAPOR and SAPOR believe strongly that the event should be called “All Chapter Party sponsored by SSRS” or something like that. DCAAPOR also wants the chapters to be involved in planning and decision-making. Lindsey will communicate to AAPOR that MAPOR wants the messaging to be very clear that it is not a private party and all AAPOR attendees are welcome whether or not they have RSVPed.

  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)
    1. Next newsletter – deadline for content is this week.

Please have the following items to Benjamin this week: President’s piece, webinar series information, MAPORtrait, and any other conference information to include. Benjamin will put something together about the coffee networking hour.

  1. Website                           (Hillary)

The website went down, but Hillary was able to get it back up. An issue occurred when updating plug-ins. Hillary called GoDaddy’s support, and MAPOR paid them to fix it. Hillary is ready to help post conference information to the website when it is ready.

  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Communications for MAPOR support grants
      1. AASRO?
      2. Department heads?

Kevin will reach out to AASRO about the grant opportunities. Leah will put together a list of students who will present at the conference, so Evgenia and Bob can inform them of the grant opportunity.

  1. Sponsorship (Dana)

We have 18 sponsors for a total of $20,450, including four gold sponsors. Dana will put together sponsor slides to use throughout the conference. Dana is collecting the artwork from sponsors. The sponsors will be updated on the website the month of the conference and in the newsletter after the conference.

  1. Online Learning Committee               (Justine)

The fall webinar series will take place on SOGI, veterans affairs, and racial inclusivity and cultural competency topics. This will be a three-part series leading into the conference. They will put together one registration process, and attendees will be able to attend as much as they are able to throughout the three weeks. 

  1. Other business
    1. MAPOR EC – Request for nominations update

Later this week, the EC will receive a survey to approve or disapprove the list of candidates.

Jennifer Lynn, one of the student fellows, is withdrawing from presenting this year, but will present next year. 

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook

Committees

Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – August 2022

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA

August 15, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00 pm EST

Attendees: Kevin, Patrick, David, Benjamin, Rebecca, Leah, Hillary, Bob, Lindsey, Dana, Erin, Evgenia, and Jerry

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  

This month we are giving a shout-out to the entire Executive Council! I hope you are getting some time off as the summer is winding down and getting recharged for the weeks to come. This is generally our last ‘slow’ meeting before our conference planning ramps up for the year. 

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Agenda:

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 

Approved.

  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates
    2. Call for participation update

The abstract submission survey was sunsetted while in the field, but a new one is up and running now. We got about 100 abstracts. Leah is creating buckets for them now, and then will reach out to Patrick and David for review. There was discussion about the number of sponsor tables we can have. We currently have three sponsor tables confirmed and seven sponsors who are a maybe. 

COVID requirements (Vaccinated and masked at least while not presenting) were discussed. There was a lot of conversation about whether or not to do a hybrid conference. There was discussion about recording the pedagogy hour, short course, and keynote. Presenters who are not able to attend could record their presentations that we would then play for in-person attendees. Final decisions will be made during the September meeting. 

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report   (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates
      1. Checking: $35,888.60 
      2. Savings: $47,210.66
    2. Credit card processing
      1. Lindsey submitted a form yesterday with CVENT to get this fully set up.
      2. The plan is to have this set up for conference registration. Then, we would get webinar and membership purchases set up through CVENT too. Then, we can get rid of authorize.net and iaccess.
    3. Membership survey – results out in newsletter
    4. MAPOR privacy policy
      1. Revised policy from NYAAPOR
      2. Submitted to AAPOR
    5. Demographics from AAPOR
      1. We discussed the limitations of the data and not being sure what we should do it given the data only include members who purchased their membership through AAPOR. Lindsey will bring this up in the AAPOR Chapter relations meeting.
  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)
    1. Next newsletter – date and deadline for content

The next newsletter will go out the third week of September, so Benjamin needs content by the 15th of September. It will include information about the webinar series, the conference and MAPORtraits

  1. Website                           (Hillary)

Please let Hillary know if you need anything changed. 

  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Communications for MAPOR support grants
      1. AASRO?
      2. Department heads?
  1. Sponsorship (Dana)

We currently have $17,450 in sponsorship not including two of the big sponsors still expected to contribute.  There are a few more gold sponsors than past years.

  1. Online Learning Committee               (Justine)

The committee is organizing another three-part series in October with on three different topics including SOGI, race/ethnicity, and Veterans and other disabilities. They are working on ironing out the details.

  1. Other business
    1. MAPOR EC – Request for nominations – Kevin will send out this week. 
    2. Mixers in 2022 – waiting for COVID rates to decline – any suggestions for locations

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook

Committees

Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – July 2022

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA

July 18, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Attendees: Leah, Lindsey, Justine, Kevin, Benjamin, Evgenia, Rebecca, Patrick and Erin

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  

Many thanks to Benjamin for putting together the MAPOR newsletter and for everyone else who provided content! 

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Agenda:

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 

Approved.

  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates

We discussed a new approach where we match a student with another non-student, not early career attendee. This would be a one-to-one match where they would informally meet during a specified break. We will discuss how this is put together in registration as we move closer to the conference. We will discuss COVID as we get closer to the conference too.

  1. Call for participation update

Fourteen abstracts have been submitted. There was conversation that most of the abstracts are submitted at the last minute. The deadline will be extended until August 5th

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates

Checking: $31,174.37

Savings: $47,210.29

  1. Credit card processing

7/1-Signed CVENT Paperwork

  1. Illinois state tax exemption

Sent in 7/12

  1. Membership survey – results out in newsletter
    1. What else to do with data?

Kevin will review the results spreadsheet.

  1. MAPOR privacy policy
    1. Revised policy from NYAAPOR

We will hopefully have it finalized by the end of the week. 

  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)
    1. Summer newsletter sent

The summer newsletter went out through Cvent today. It was posted to the website Friday.

  1. Website                           (Hillary)
  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Student Fellowship Program announcement is out
      1. Follow up with students and fellows?

The announcement was part of the newsletter. 

  1. Communications for MAPOR support grants
    1. AASRO?
    2. Department heads?
  1. Sponsorship (Dana)
  1. Online Learning Committee               (Justine)
    1. Other events? 
      1. Resume review? 
      2. Speed networking?

The committee plans to nail down people, topic and dates in the next month or so when people are getting back into the semester.

  1. Other business
    1. Mixers in 2022 – waiting for COVID rates to decline – any suggestions for locations

Please let Kevin know of any conference or event happening in Chicago in August.

Kevin will put the call out for Associate Conference Chair and Vice-President/President-Elect positions in August.

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook

Committees

Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – June 2022

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA

June 13, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  

The spotlight for this month goes out to Lindsey for staying on top of MAPOR finances! It is a never-ending job and we appreciate you keeping us accountable to the membership! 

And Hillary for her hard work with everything GoDaddy!

Attendees: Erin, Patrick, Lindsey, Justine, Kevin, Bob, Leah, Rebecca, Dane, Evgenia, and David

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Agenda:

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 

Approve

  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates
    2. Call for participation

The Call for participation is out. We had one submission as of Friday. Leah will do a reminder after the July 4th weekend and a reminder the week of the deadline. Then, we can assess in July whether or not to extend the deadline. We have until October 31st to decide on the size of the room block, and then we finalize food a month prior to the conference. Leah wants to have a good idea of in-person/hybrid preferences in August. Evgenia will send Leah an email about a networking space idea she has.  Patrick had an idea to maybe let folks use conference space for lunch to allow folks to spread out. He also asked if we could have another room to have more options during the sessions allowing folks to spread out knowing that many people are attending the conference for the in-person opportunity. David shared that we had the option for more rooms last year, but we did not think we would need them all. David also shared that the conference rooms were open to folks to use during lunch last year.

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates
      1. Checking: $27,906.20
      2. Savings: $46,709.91
    2. Membership survey update
      1. Lindsey has analyzed the results and will send them to the EC. She needs to write up the piece for the newsletter.
    3. MAPOR privacy policy
      1. Can we use the template from AAPOR?
      2. They will send us the template soon.
    4. Credit Card Processing
      1. Lindsey got cost information from Cvent and did cost calculations. Cvent is much cheaper than what we are currently paying. Lindsey asked for permission to move ahead on switching to the Cvent credit card option.
      2. Bob confirmed with PAPOR that running credit card payments through Cvent has worked well for them. 
      3. Lindsey will work with Cvent to make this change.
    5. Illinois Sales Tax Exemption
      1. There are a number of documents we need that I can’t find in the Google Drive.
      2. Lindsey and Kevin will connect
  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)

Notes from Ben given to Kevin:

The newsletter is currently scheduled for July 11th. We could push it back a week if necessary, but because it’s meant to support the call for participation, I don’t want to send it too close to the 29th.

In order to make July 11th, I would need all articles by July 6th.  I know that’ll be tricky with the Rene interview, because he’s out of the country on vacation or at meetings through the end of June.

Do we have a MAPORtraits person selected yet?

Twitter and facebook are performing decently well, but engagements help – if you use either in a professional context, considering liking MAPOR content, which increases its reach. 

  1. Summer newsletter upcoming – tentative timeline?
    1. Tribute to Sharon Dunwoody (DONE)
    2. Interview with GSS Director Rene Bautista (Waiting on NORC PR group)
    3. Membership survey results
    4. MAPORtraits
      1. Evgenia had the idea to do a portrait with Allison Holbrook the next newsletter after July.
      2. There was a lot of discussion about who to ask to do these (officers vs other MAPOR members). 
      3. Leah, Patrick, and Kevin will be in the next newsletter.
  1. Website                           (Hillary)

Hillary will get the special meeting minutes added. 

Patrick removed the year on the sponsorship page.

  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Student Fellowship Program
      1. Charlene Stainfeld
        1. Rick Perloff declined
        2. Kevin followed up with Rob Daves
      2. Linh Nguyen
        1. Nora Cate Schaeffer declined
  1. Communications for MAPOR support grants
    1. AASRO?
    2. Department heads?

The group agreed to open this up to MAPOR presidents if we are not able to get fellows onboard. Evgenia will reach out to Tim Johnson. Then, Bob, Kevin, and Evgenia will connect if Rick says no or they do not hear back from him.

  1. Sponsorship (Dana)

Dana is starting this. We are moving from the sponsorship signs to having the gold, silver, and bronze sponsors on the landing slide at the beginning of each session. Gold sponsor logos will be prominently displayed on the screen during the keynote and the pedagogy hour. She updated the sponsorship document with these ideas. Dana will have Kevin review the sponsorship document and then get the ball rolling.

  1. Online Learning Committee               (Justine)
    1. Other events? 
      1. Resume review? 
      2. Speed networking?

The committee is working on a three-part series around inclusivity, including SOGI and disability status in the fall. Then, we could possibly have a round table or the lunch table topics based on the three-part topics. They are looking at a networking event in the fall and a resume review in the spring. There was a lot of discussion about who to include in the resume building/review from organizations, specifically which positions from large (maybe HR) versus small (decision maker) organizations.

  1. Other business
    1. Mixers in 2022 – waiting for COVID rates to decline – any suggestions for locations

We might put something together in Chicago in August, but will hold right now.

MAPOR received an email offering a short course on budging for the conference. Leah will get back to them.

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook

Committees

Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – May 2022

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COUNCIL MONTHLY MEETING AGENDA

May 16, 2022

12:30 – 2:00 CST / 1:30 pm – 3:00pm EST

Zoom invite

MAPOR SPOTLIGHT of the MONTH:  Thanks to everyone who represented MAPOR at the AAPOR conference this week! We had a great turnout at the All Chapter Welcome and had a very successful raffle which resulted in signing up about 40 persons for the “Friends of MAPOR” list. 

MAPOR Mission Statement

We provide high-quality educational and conference programs to encourage scholarly exchanges across disciplines and geographies, broaden member access to mentors and resources, and bolster opportunities for leadership and innovations. We join forces with AAPOR, academic institutions, and government and industry employers to develop a thriving community that supports all MAPOR members, including students, scholars, and professionals in every stage of their career.

MAPOR Vision Statement

MAPOR is a leading voice in public opinion, survey, and social science scholarship, methods, and practice among regional professional associations. We are an inclusive and supportive community that enables our diverse members to achieve their educational, professional development, and networking goals. 

Agenda:

Attendees: Ben, Lindsey, Evgenia, Leah, Hillary, Rebecca, Patrick, Bob, Erin, Justine, David, and Jerry

Kevin will send a Doodle to reschedule the next meeting, since it is currently scheduled on Juneteenth.

  1. Approval of last meeting’s minutes 
  1. 2022 Conference             (Leah)
    1. Conference support committee updates
    2. Call for participation
    3. Student paper competition
      1. KU will reach out to potential fellow matches this week to ask about interest in matching with the selected students. 

Leah is putting everything together for the call for abstracts and the newsletter. She will send the call for abstracts through Cvent and do a social media blast. The call for abstracts will hopefully go out before Memorial Day. The plan is to close abstract submissions by July 29th. Ben can do a social media teaser too, including information on the travel awards. Evgenia suggested having a professional development session at the conference. Leah will review the hotel conference contract and reach out to the hotel about when they need the hotel block confirmed. Patrick suggested that Leah follow-up with Allison Holbrook about the student paper competition, so Evgenia can apply.

  1. Secretary / Treasurer’s Report (Lindsey)
    1. Financial updates
      1. Checking: $27,979
      2. Savings: $46,973.50
    2. Membership survey update
      1. Lindsey will analyze the data this week and put together a piece for the newsletter.
    3. MAPOR privacy policy
      1. Can we use the template from AAPOR?
        1. They are going to send us a boilerplate document.
    4. Zoom licenses
      1. We now have an annual license.
  1. Communications                     (Benjamin)
    1. Summer newsletter upcoming – tentative timeline

Ben will send the newsletter out when we have a good amount of material. Justine suggested sending it out a few weeks before the abstract submissions wrap up. Ben will have more of a timeline when we meet in June, but Justine suggested sending it out by July 15th

  1. Website                           (Hillary)
  1. Awards, Grants, and Support Committee (Bob)
    1. Student Fellowship Program updates
  1. Sponsorship (Dana)
  1. Online Learning Committee               (Justine)
    1. Feedback and discussion on the execution of the first webinar
    2. Other events? 
      1. Resume review? 
      2. Speed networking?

MAPOR had a very successful, three-part webinar series. The feedback was very positive. The committee is discussing doing some type of resume building/networking webinar in August or September. 

  1. Other business
    1. Mixers in 2022 – waiting for COVID rates to decline – any suggestions for locations

We discussed doing some kind of Zoom session or something in Chicago. Please bring your ideas to the June meeting.

Council members

President – Kevin Ulrich

Vice President / President Elect – Justine Bulgar-Medina

Past President – Dana Garbarski

Conference Chair – Leah Dean

Associate Conference Chair – Patrick Hsieh

Secretary-Treasurer – Lindsey Witt-Swanson

Website Coordinator – Hillary Hanson

Sponsorship Coordinator – Dana Garbarski

Student Liaison – Evgenia Kapousouz

Communications Chair – Benjamin Schapiro

Members at Large – Bob Davis, Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, David Sterrett, Jerry Timbrook

Committees

Conference Committee – Leah Dean (Chair), Patrick Hsieh, David Sterrett

Online Learning Committee – Justine Bulgar-Medina (Chair), Erin Heiden, Rebecca Powell, Jerry Timbrook

Awards, Grants, and Support Committee – Bob Davis (Chair), Evgenia Kapousouz

Secretary Treasurer Support – Lindsey Witt-Swanson, Kevin Ulrich 

Communications Support – Benjamin Schapiro, Justine Bulgar-Medina, Evgenia Kapousouz

AAPOR Conference Committee – TBD