MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – July 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MONTHLY MEETING NOTES

July 9, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

Attendees: Rob, Ned, Dana, Kevin, Sara, Ipek, Colleen,

* Conference Update (Ned/Dana) – We have had more submissions that previous years – 124 papers, 5 panels, 32 entries to the student paper competition. Ned will try to have papers out to reviewers by the end of the week.

No decision yet as to the cost or menus. Also no decision on table topics or affinity groups.
Conference meeting details are not yet set. We are leaning towards a half day event of only the conference committee and any Chicago-based members who wish to join. Tentatively set for end of August or September.

* Communications Update (Mandy/Vanessa) – Mandy sent an update that was distributed by Ron to council members.
The logo vote is still very close. The reminder will go out tomorrow morning at 8am. We expect a decent response after the reminder is sent. Kevin will follow up with the issues experienced by some members.

* Sponsorship Update (Allison) – Allison is out although Ron mentions that soon we will begin to solicit previous sponsors for the upcoming year.

* Treasurer’s Report (Jolene/Kevin) – No update at this time. The only change in accounts should be from the renewal of our Cvent license ~ $1,025.

* Website (Josh) – Colors will be dependent on the logo vote. See bylaws update for discussion on the discussion forums.

* MAPOR History Group (Ron) – Paul Lavrakas is working on the history but it will not be done in time for this year’s conference.

* Webinar Update (Patrick) – From Patrick’s email: “Michael agrees to give the webinar and can do it in early October as we have planned. If we have another newsletter going out in August, I will reach out to him for promotional info. If not, then I’ll contact him in August to finalize the schedule. I have the video recordings of the last two webinars that I organized. They are uploaded to the MAPOR drive already. I cannot recall on top of my head whether we have recordings before those. I have no objection to putting them up for sale, whatever EC decides is fine with me.”

* Bylaws Update (Ron) – We will send out call on Cvent and send link to bylaws page. The bylaws will be up with tracked changes and another document will be posted with the justification. There will be a discussion on the website where people can put up comments. Under the current bylaws we need to set up the notification 20-40 days prior to the actual vote. Ron is working on the language for the email and will work with Josh to set up the links. Ron will work with Kevin to get the notification out.

* Election (Ron) – Under the current bylaws we need to get a slate of candidates out to members by November 13th to 18th. The vote would be October 26th to November 6th. Ron will draft a call to members for suggestions for candidates and will work for Kevin to get this out.

* Face to Face Meeting/Mixer (All) – No date yet set for a mixer. We may be able to set one up in Ann Arbor, Michigan in September. Colleen is reviewing the calendar to see what other events might correspond in September which we could align with a mixer.

Next Meeting: Monday August 13, 1:00 ET/Noon CT

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – August 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING NOTES

August 13, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

Attendees: Jolene, Ron, Ned, Mat, Mandy, Vanessa, Josh, Colleen, Sarah, Ipek, Allison, Vicki Pineau (AAPOR)

Agenda:

  • SurveyFest2018 (Vicki/Audris) – AAPOR will be holding an event November 3rd at the University of Illinois in Chicago to attract students to the field. AAPOR is looking to MAPOR for speakers for a panel or other involvement such as helping with advertising or registration. Ipek, Patrick, and Kevin are interested in participating. Colleen is also able to help out. Ipek and Vicki will work to integrate the volunteers into the planning meetings.
  • Conference Update (Ned/Dana)– MAPOR received 132 submissions, up 32 over last year.  Abstracts were reviewed by a team of EC members. Ned and Dana will inform authors of acceptance this week. The interviewer working group is planned again this year. Ned is checking on the need/desire for a second working group.  The goal is to launch the conference registration page before August 31 and to work on creating the program in September.
  • Communications Update (Mandy/Vanessa) – MAPOR will start using the new logo on the website and social media accounts.  The next newsletter will come out in the fall, likely October.  The EC is working on content now.
  • Sponsorship Update (Allison) – MAPOR sponsors have committed about $12,000 for the conference and payment is coming in now. Allison continues to work with the conference committee to incorporate sponsor artwork into the program.
  • Treasurer’s Report (Jolene/Kevin) – Checking: $14,592.24. Savings: $45016.55 .  Jolene and Kevin are working on building the conference registration site.
  • Website (Josh) – Josh is updating the website as needed, including adding the new logo.
  • Webinar Update (Patrick)– Patrick is working on finalizing the Fall webinar.
  • Bylaws Update (Ron) – All proposed changes in the bylaws were approved. Ron will update the official documents with the changes and date of change and work with Josh to get the website updated.  Josh is also tracking down historic bylaws documents.
  • Election (Ron) – The call for nominations yielded 2 self-nominations and one other-nomination.  Ron will start contacting people to gauge interest.  The slate of candidates will be presented to the membership by September 18th. Ron will work on this in the coming weeks.
  • Face to Face Meeting (9/20) / Mixer (All) – Josh and Colleen are working on the Mixer plan, including looking for a date in October to have the mixer in Ann Arbor and thinking through options for having relevant organizations sponsor the mixer and then attend to interface with students.  In this way, MAPOR can help students and potential employers connect.
  • Other Business? – The agenda for the face-to-face meeting in September is under development, but much of the meeting will focus on conference planning. Local (to Chicago) EC members and the conference committee will attend in person.  Everyone else will join electronically to minimize travel expenses.

Next Meeting: Thursday September 20th during the half-day in-person/conference call meeting (12:00 Central).

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – June 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MONTHLY MEETING NOTES

June 11, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

Attendees: Ron, Jolene, Ned, Patrick, Matt, Ipek, Josh, Colleen, Vanessa, Allison

 

Agenda:

  1. MAPOR @ AAPOR – Reviewed MAPOR’s presence at AAPOR, including our social media present. Several people were tweeting regularly though out the conference and our presence seemed strong.  Ron is following up with AAPOR to make sure that MAPOR materials used at the conference are shipped back on time for the MAPOR conference in November.
  2. Conference Update –
    • Abstract submission numbers this year are comparable with where they were at this time last year.
    • The student paper call is out and reminders to submit student papers will be coming around soon. Council voted on a policy to provide conference registration and luncheon tickets for up to three co-authors in the case of winning papers that have multiple authors.  No change was made to the monetary award amount for winning papers.
    • Council agreed to keep conference fees for 2018 the same as 2017. It was noted that fees have not changed for several years now. They may have to be increased in the future depending on sponsorship and hotel contracts.  Fees for the luncheon have not yet been set; they will be set after meetings with the hotel in which food prices will be determined.
  3. Communications update – Through an EC vote, council has narrowed down the new logo designs to the top few. These will be presented to the membership for a vote in the coming weeks.  Vanessa has been working on coordinating MAPOR social media and is getting infrastructure in place for the EC to use for this purpose.  The June newsletter will be coming out very soon.  It is being finalized now.
  4. Sponsorship update – We are gearing up to start the sponsorship drive for 2018.
  5. Treasurer’s report –
    • Checking: $12,850
    • Savings: $45,015
    • Jolene has updated our PCI compliance documents. EC reviewed MAPOR’s Credit Card Processing Security Policy (i.e., a policy about how we keep credit card information secure) and voted on one small update (i.e., allowing the associate conference chair to have access to Cvent).
    • The EC briefly discussed needing to update some of our materials with the new logo when it is settled upon and to think about the budgetary needs for doing so. No decisions were made at this point.
  6. Website – It was suggested that we need consistent colors (i.e., branding) across all of our communications. We decided to base our colors on the outcome of the logo vote.  We also discussed a couple of changes for the website.  Josh is getting feedback about the website from members and making changes as needed.  Other EC members have access and editing rights to add content to the website, including to an events calendar that we will use to keep membership up to date on important upcoming events.
  7. MAPOR History Group – This group of Fellows is working on compiling MAPOR history and will let the EC know soon if they will have content on time for the upcoming conference.
  8. Webinar update – Patrick has identified a speaker that all of the EC were very positive about for the fall webinar and is working to confirm the speaker’s willingness and availability. More on this soon.
  9. Bylaws Update – The EC will call a special e-meeting for a bylaws vote in the coming weeks.
  10. Face-to-Face meeting/mixer
    • To balance the benefits of a face-to-face meeting with the costs, the EC agreed to have a face-to-face meeting in Chicago this summer with the president, conference committee, and EC members from the Chicago area there in person and others from outside the Chicago area joining by telephone or electronically to save travel costs. We are looking into dates, times, and meeting software for this meeting.
    • Ron suggested exploring Ann Arbor as a possible mixer location for the fall to try to spread the location around and reach members outside Chicago. EC members are looking into the feasibility of this idea.
  11. Other business – Ron asked the EC members to be thinking of nominations for office and ideas for Fellows as he’ll want our ideas on this soon.

 

Next Meeting: Monday July 9, 1:00 ET/Noon CT

MAPOR Council Public Meeting Minutes – April 2018

MAPOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MONTHLY MEETING NOTES

April 9, 2018

1:00 pm – 2:30pm ET/Noon – 1:30 CT

 

Attendees: Ron, Matt, Jolene, Vanessa, Sara, Kevin, Josh, Colleen, Dana, Allison

 

Agenda:

I. 2018 Conference Update (Ned/Dana)

  1. Student activities?

  2. Abstract management software update (Matt)

Conference support committee met last week. They discussed with AAPOR representatives how AAPOR sets up roommate matching and they are exploring how to implement a similar system for MAPOR members.

Committee has ideas for invited panels and other sessions submitted by members. History of MAPOR, Women in Leadership, and Early Career Panel are current possibilities.

Colleen would like to make sure that all student opportunities are well advertised to students. This might also be a good thing to do for persons who are attending the conference for the first time. We could ask if people are registering for the conference for the first time during registration, and send an email specifically to them and students.

Committee feels they are on track for this year’s conference.

Abstract management software – Committee has looked around for other options and followed up with other organizations about what they use. There are multiple options out there – the roadblock seems to be the cost; they are not cheap. Committee will send a summary to council soon about what they feel are the best options.

 

II. MAPOR @ AAPOR   (All)

Council decided to not bring shwag to the PAPOR event because we think people will be focused on networking and not on picking up stuff.

There is support to have a raffle for students – potentially a gift card or cards. EC decided that two, $150 gift cards would be appropriate. Ron will review with AAPOR about what they can re-imburse and make a decision about what to buy.

Ron will follow-up with Ned and Ipek about what they have in their inventory and get back to Kevin about what to send to AAPOR. Kevin will also check the inventory at UChicago and report back to Ron.

 

III. Communications Update         (Mandy/Vanessa)

  1. Doris Graber Memorial for MAPOR website

  2. Doris Graber Memorial at UIC (Ron)

  3. Power point promo for PAPOR reception at AAPOR

  4. Social media engagement        (Vanessa)

Mandy is working to get quotes and comments for the memorial for the website.

Paul Lavrakas will speak about Doris on behalf of MAPOR at the UIC event. Ron and Tim will work with Paul to put together something appropriate.

Vanessa distributed the social media engagement plan to EC which outlines recommendations for actions to be performed in the next few months.  Vanessa will organize these materials to a “social media materials” in the MAPOR Google drive.

Council moved to vote and approved $500 for the MAPOR logo refresh. Vanessa will follow up with the designer about ideas.

 

IV. Treasurer’s Report           (Jolene)

  1. Current update

Savings account: $45,015

Checking account: $12,609

Jolene filed the annual report and 990 form.  

MAPOR will receive $940 from AAPOR for folks who updated their MAPOR membership when they registered for the AAPOR conference.

 

V. Website (Josh)

  1. Site refresh update

The Beta of the new website is up and is open for EC review. Josh can create accounts for anyone who needs to be an editor on the page. Council members had a few quick suggestions for changes but so far the page is looking great.

Photos – What can we do to promote people taking photos at the presentation? Ron will put this on the agenda for the next council meeting. Perhaps we could have a photo contest and provide a small prize for the best photo?

 

VI. MAPOR History Group (Mandy)

Ron sent Paul an email about an update. Although we know Paul has been in contact with some of the fellows, no material has been distributed.

 

VII. Bylaws update (Ron)

Ron has aggregated the materials we need to present when we have the electronic vote. The electronic vote can be done through CVENT. Ron will work with Jolene get that set up.

 

VIII. Sponsorship update (Allison)

No new update at this time.

 

IX. Member benefits  (All)

  1. 2018 Mixer? (F2F meeting?)
  2. Webinar 2?
  3. Other things survey suggests?

We may have a mixer, and are open to considering other locations outside Chicago. We asked about what other conferences MAPOR members attend in the annual survey, perhaps we could use this as a resource to find a location for another mixer this summer?

Council is interested is hosting another webinar. We need to follow-up with Patrick to inquire about any leads. We asked about potential topics in the member survey – this could be a resource for new potential webinar ideas?

The value of a face-to-face meeting is not known at this time. Ron will follow-up with Ipek and Ned about the need to conduct a face-to-face as a lot of the benefit of the face-to-face is in assisting the conference chair.

 

X. Other Business?   

We would like to post meeting minutes to a place that is accessible to all members. Going forward, the secretary-treasurer will post the meeting notes to the Google drive, informing EC to make any edits or changes before a certain date. After the date has passed, the minutes will be posted to a page on the MAPOR web page.

                                                                                                    

Next Meeting: Monday May 14, 1:00 ET/Noon CT